Applications open for IBRO Parenthood Grants

Deadline Date: March 15, 2024

Donor Name: International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)

Grant Size: $1000 to $10,000

International Brain Research Organization (IBRO) is seeking applications for the Parenthood grants to support early-career Principal Investigators on parental leave (due to recent childbirth or adoption) or approaching parental leave (due to pregnancy or impending adoption) by providing supplemental laboratory funding.

Pregnancy, maternity leave, adoption leave, and primary caregiving responsibilities significantly disrupt the continuity of a researcher’s engagement in scientific research. This interruption usually poses a particular challenge for early career researchers in the process of building their families as they often become less competitive in terms of producing results, publishing papers, and obtaining research grants.

To mitigate this disadvantage, the IBRO Parenthood Grant aims to lessen the burden through grants that could be used towards covering research-related expenses such as reagents, facility costs, outsourcing experiments or data acquisition to external organizations, transportation of non-commercial samples or reagents, etc. By supporting early career researchers in such costs, the grant seeks to empower and enable them to navigate the balance between family-building and advancing their scientific endeavors.

Funding Information

  • Maximum grant amount: 3,000 EUR
  • Project Timeline
    • The proposed projects should be completed in a maximum of one year from the time of award.
    • The required grant report should be submitted no later than 3 months following the conclusion of the proposed project.
  • Funds will be transferred according to an 80:20 format. This means that 80% of the grant will be awarded two months prior to the start date of the project, whereas the remaining 20% will be processed upon completion of the project and submission of the required grant report.

Who Can Apply?

  • Applicants should be early career principal investigators (seven years or less in this role).
    • Any extended breaks from research (e.g. previous maternity or adoption leave) are accepted and should be justified in the application.
  • Applicant must have at least one published, peer-reviewed paper as the corresponding author as a minimal requirement for the status of an independent researcher.
  • Applicants or their partner must either
    • be pregnant (at least 4 months),
    • have given birth in the last four months before the grant application deadline, or
    • be close to adoption, assuming the role of the primary caregiver.

For more information, visit IBRO.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Looking for expert advice on economics?